Monday, January 7, 2008





Here are a couple of hike pics (badly need much more) I did in the late 80s. The flat topped yellow pine is on the ridge of Mt Williamson (elevation 8244 feet above the sea). The hogback peak above Highway 39 San Gabriel River. Bighorn sheep live up here.

The snowy mountain is San Jacinto Peak (elev 10805) and one can take the tramway to the top and hike the last 2500 to the summit. Amazing views from the top across much of Southern California.

The summit photo is of Throop Peak (elev 9100) named after Amos Throop of Throop Institute (which later to become Caltech). This is near a bunch of peaks just east of Highway 39 @ Angeles Crest Highway.

The huge canyon is the summit from Tuolumne Pass northern Yosemite. Excellent samples of the alpine high country and an area John Muir explored in the late 1800s. This is on a trip in late 87 coming from Oakland down highway 395 to Palmdale.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is beautiful! I've never hiked to the top of any mountain. It must be breathtaking. Your pictures are a treat.

Anonymous said...

Marc I just re-read this and enjoyed it all over again. Thanks for the note you just left on my blog. Eleven years living in that beautiful house in Sunland and I never took the time to explore the surrounding areas. I do remember catching the 210 East on Lowell every morning and how the sky scenes would often take my breath away right on that spot. I miss that. You are very generous in sharing information, these images, and above all, your thoughts.